Adopting A Winner’s Mindset and A Positive Mental Attitude
My number 1 tip for success is adopting a Positive Mental Attitude or PMA.
I discovered Dale Carnegie early in my business career when my business was in trouble.
It was a great book called “How to Win Friends and Influence People”. The book was written in 1936 and contains the recipe for personal and business success.
It is the #1 book for success with people, sales and leadership. It is a life changer!
Here is a quick summary:
FUNDAMENTAL TECHNIQUES IN HANDLING PEOPLE
- Don’t criticize, condemn or complain
- Give honest & sincere appreciation
- Arouse in the other person an eager want
SIX WAYS TO MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU
- Become genuinely interested in other people
- Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language
- Be a Good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other persons interests
- Make the other person feel important
The book also contains 12 more ideas to win people to your way of thinking and 9 more great ideas to be a better leader.
I had that list of 30 Dale Carnegie Ideas up on my office wall and regularly repeated those ideas to myself and others – using them as my “Mantra” for success. It turns out that what you repeatedly say to yourself (your “little voice” in your head) changes and guides your behaviour over time.
Positive thinking and positive behaviours start with having a positive mental attitude.
Do YOU need an Attitude Adjustment?
This is an old Chinese saying – “The Fish rots from the head down”
which means that if there are problems in any business – it starts at the top – with the boss.
The team is always a reflection of the boss and the business results are a reflection of your team. If you are not getting the business results you want, start with improving your own attitude and mindset.
A 10% Shift in your head can have a 100%+ shift in business profitability. Start with improving your mindset, customer experience and pricing confidence.
If your attitude is not as positive as you would like, there are some steps that you can take to correct your “stinking thinking”, stop being a “CRAP magnet” and a “festering pus bag of unhappiness”. Stop being a “cranky frank” or “feryl beryl” – if your attitude really needs it – seek professional or medical help.
Shifting from a Grumpy Attitude to a Great Attitude
Start with any improvement your diet, exercise, attitude and lifestyle.
Start to focus on what is working and is GREAT. You can use the following questions for re-engaging and refocussing mindset and attitude.
Ask yourself and others some better questions…
- “What are you grateful for?”
- “What’s working for you?”
- “What do you like about it?”
- “What are you looking forward to?”
- “What can we do?”
- “What’s the next step?
PLAYING ‘THE PMA GAME’ – How are you?
We played the “Positive Mood & Attitude” game at a conference recently. This game is easy. You just ask someone “How are you?” to check their mood and attitude. The whole mood of the conference shifted as attendees started to answer “Fantastic”, “Great” and “Awesome”. There was a buzz for days at the conference as people got the idea.
The words that you and your staff use to describe your mood and attitude determine your level of success. Please avoid being negative, critical, sarcastic or complaining. A Positive & Optimistic attitude is infectious and attracts more customers.
You can change your own attitude by changing the words you use. By changing the language of the team – you can change the culture of the workplace and the results of your store. These words are used on the phone and forecourt with customers. It makes for a fun and happy workplace.
You can check the mood and attitude of own your team members by asking “How are You?”. Checking their self talk to find out if they use positive attitude words (see below).
POSITIVE ATTITUDE WORDS – “How are You?”
SOME WORDS TO AVOID USING – “How are You?”
- Not Bad
- Can’t Complain
- Not dead yet
You can also play the PMA game every time you answer the phone
Answer your phone with enthusiasm and a smiley face attitude – “Thanks for calling (business). This is (name)” Upswing your vocal tone at the end of the sentence. Use as many positive words when greeting and talking to customers. Ask a question and use a positive word. “That’s Awesome” and “Terrific”.
HOW TO UNLEASH THE POWER OF PMA
1. Learn to Manage Your “Little Voice” (your own Self Talk)
What you say to yourself becomes your reality – You can believe and achieve.
Use more “I am…” phrases to improve confidence and self belief.
- “I am a positive person”
- “I am successful”
- “I am great at …..”
- “I am great at numbers”
Adopt a more positive mindset – your ABC’s – adjust your Attitude, Beliefs & Confidence
2. Find What’s WORKING – Find & Focus on more “Great News”
Collect and distribute your good news stories, happy customer stories & testimonials – especially thank you cards, video testimonials, case studies, successful campaigns, positive online reviews to boost team morale.
3. Look for the Great – Train your brain to find more success and more prospects
Your brain has the amazing ability to find the things that you look for. You find what you’re looking for – so look for your ideal clients and ideal results. “What you focus on expands” and “You get what you genuinely expect”.
Be clear about your ideal clients, referrals and alliances.
Work out what you really WANT (Avoid thinking about what you don’t want).
4. Surround Yourself with a TEAM of POSITIVE PEOPLE that can help you
- Build a better relationship with your supportive spouse and positive friends
- Form a “mastermind” group of your peers
- Get a local business coach in the local area
- Get a better accountant (with industry expertise)
- Find an older, wiser business mentor in the local community for advice
5. Marinate your brain in PMA material from the GURUS
Read and listen to more books and CDs by PMA positivity experts –
- Brian Tracy
- Jim Rohn
- Zig Ziglar
- Denis Waitley
- Napoleon Hill
Or some modern Aussie experts – Paul Hanna and Keith Abraham
Find some motivational quotes that you really like and put them up on the wall.
6. Fill your head with PMA ideas -Leaders are Readers.
Start by turning off your TV – it’s an automatic income-reducing device anyway – and spend some quality time reading these classic PMA books or listening to audiobooks. You’ll be happier, more positive and more successful.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- You Can Do It and Believe & Achieve – two great books by Paul Hanna
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Get more Positive Resources to stay on track
- Read a copy of Dave’s FREE E-BOOK – “Adopting a winner’s mindset”
- Get the set of positive sayings as postcards and posters and put them up around the store
Be a BEACON of Positivity, Optimism and Love – and watch your business GROW!
ABOUT THE BLOG AUTHOR – David Staughton CSP
David Staughton is an Award-winning Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), past board member of Professional Speakers Australia and advisor to a large Australian speakers bureau.
David is also a successful serial entrepreneur and an expert on Future-Proofing your Business
Dave’s most popular small business TOPICS include:
- Future-Proofing your Business – Embracing Change
- Living a Better Life by Working Smarter
- Building your Loyal “A Team” of Engaged Leaders
- Making More All Year Round – Seasonal Success
- Find the Hidden Value in your Business
If you would like to see more NEW BLOGS for growing your business or more information about the speaking & conference industry please sign up to the e-newsletter or connect with me on LINKEDIN.
- Read BLOGS FOR CONFERENCE ORGANISERS
- Read BLOGS ABOUT SMALL BUSINESS
- Read BLOGS FOR PROFESSIONAL SPEAKERS
You can also download some of the free business e-books available here.
If you know or have suggestions for this blog please call David on 0408375100 or contact us