Starting with SYSTEMS – Always Share Your Desired OUTCOMES & SYSTEMS with your “A Team”
Many practice owners and managers play the “Guessing Game” – They let their team members try to “Guess” what they really want to achieve.
ALWAYS Know and share your desired Outcomes to Build Better Systems.
Business Plans of many small businesses are either old or non-existent. Targets and KPIs are scarce. Help your team achieve more by clearly communicating your desired Outcomes and Business Direction.
Don’t Keep it a SECRET! Give us a HINT!
ANY document that can help CLARIFY the desired outcomes & direction of the business is really USEFUL to boost team engagement and results.
Let’s start by getting everybody on the same 1st page of Business Systems 101.
Here is a Useful Checklist of some helpful documents to achieve better Organisational Clarity and Results.
AN “ABOUT OUR COMPANY” DOCUMENT
- Our PURPOSE – Why we do it
- Our PHILOSOPHY – What we Believe
- Our PEOPLE – Who we are
- Our PLAN – What we do
- Our PROCESSES – How we do it
- Our POSSIBILITIES – Opportunities
- Our PROBLEMS – Issues and Concerns
- Our PERFORMANCE – KPI expectations
- Out PAYOFF – Benefits and Bonuses
CLEAR DIRECTION DOCUMENTS
- VALUES STATEMENT – What’s really important to us?
- VISION STATEMENT & MISSION STATEMENT
- S.W.O.T. ANALYSIS
- STAKEHOLDERS – Clear Identification of all STAKEHOLDERS
- COMPETITOR ANALYSIS – Who are our competitors (By Segment)
- TARGET MARKET & IDEAL BUYER PERSONAS – Who are our buyers?
- CORE STRENGTHS (Niches) – The Hedgehog Principle – What ONE thing do we do well?
- UPDATED BUSINESS PLAN – Business Strategies are Clear (Liveplan or One Page Plan)
- FINANCIAL OBJECTIVES – Budget, Actuals, CPC Comparisons
HUMAN RESOURCES HR DOCS
- OUR ORGANISATIONAL CHART – names and pictures
- OUR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES – Individual Position & Ideal Person Descriptions
- OUR CULTURE STATEMENT – Our Philosophy
- A COURTESY SYSTEM in place
- PRODUCTIVITY & EFFICIENCY – meetings are meaningful, motivational and minute-wise (See the 25 minute meeting by Donna McGeorge)
- HOUSE RULES – clear set of HR Policies & Procedures
- RECRUITMENT STRATEGIES & REMUNERATION PLANS
- INDUCTION PROGRAM
STAFF INDUCTION DOCS
- ONBOARDING CHECKLIST – Admin, Financial, Show Around, Meet People
- VISIT & READ OUR COMPANY WEBSITE
- CLEAR EXPECTATIONS & PROCESSES – Checklists
- STYLE GUIDE – Logos, Colours, Pics, Videos, Examples of past work
- TEAM COMMUNICATION TOOLS – coaching, feedback and samples
- FAQs & FADQs lists
COUNTING & MEASURING BUSINESS OUTCOMES
- KEY METRICS have been established – Which things to measure regularly
- KPIs & KRAs – MEASUREMENT & FEEDBACK SYSTEMS in place
- FINANCIAL REPORTING – Regular Meetings on P&L or A&L
ENVIRONMENTAL BUSINESS OUTCOMES
- P.E.S.T. ANALYSIS Completed (Political, Environmental, Social, Technological)
- WORKING ENVIRONMENT – WHS/OHS issues, Built Environment audits
- EQUIPMENT & TOOLS – Technology & Software up to date
- COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT – New Competitors/Threats regularly assessed
OUTSOURCED STAFF CHECKLIST
- SURROUNDINGS & SUPPORT – Risk Analysis – Security – power, pics, helpers, Family
- OFFICE SET UP – Connection, Mobile phones, computer, other equipment
- TOOLS – Preferred Software programs
- REFERENCES – Past work, Past employers
- SCENARIO PLANNING – Robbery, Theft, Backup, Disaster (hurricane, flood, fire)
RECOMMENDED BOOKS ON CREATING SYSTEMS
Sam Carpenter’s Book – Work the System (free E-Book)
Systemology by David Jenyns