PLACES FOR NEW SPEAKERS TO SPEAK FOR FREE OR BE A GUEST SPEAKER
Welcome to all the many speakers who want to SPEAK more!
Developing your ability to SPEAK professionally is about PRACTICING your presentation and getting more feedback. You’ll want to find places to speak and learn to get better interacting with a live audience.
As speaking guru, Winston Marsh says “If you want to speak more, then SPEAK MORE”. Don’t sit at home on the couch, go and find an audience or an event in need of a speaker – There are PLENTY.
You can also make VIDEOS to practice and review your presentations in order to get good ASAP. Avoid being boring – NOBODY wants to listen to a BORING Speaker!
START WITH A SIMPLE PLAN TO GIVE MORE PRESENTATIONS
If you are going to become a better speaker and give more presentations you’ll need a PLAN
- WHO is your ideal target audience – who would you like to speak to?
- WHAT can you speak about? What value can you add? What do you know a lot about?
- WHY You? – Earn the right to speak – talk about YOUR experiences, challenges and results – have some proof – Videos, Testimonials, Benefits, Website etc
- HOW are you going to get invited to speak – approach the event organiser?, DIY? Or Ask?
DEVELOP YOUR ABILITY TO SPEAK & PRESENT ONLINE
A list of things you can do YOURSELF! Do What You Can with What You Already Have
- Make your own VIDEOS and post them on social media – Youtube, Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram etc
- Be interviewed on someone else’s PODCAST or start your own podcast – Just Apply!
- Speak on a WEBINAR or run your own – try zoom.us
- Speak at VIRTUAL EVENTS – be included in online panels & conferences
- Run your own PHYSICAL EVENT (Use Eventbrite, meetup or a boardroom presentation)
- SPONSORSHIP – you could ask to speak at any event you are a Sponsor
- PRODUCT or BOOK LAUNCH – you could speak at any place that sells your products or books
LIST OF THE BEST PLACES TO SPEAK IN AUSTRALIA FOR NEW SPEAKERS (FOR FREE / LOW FEE)
Most of these Organisations are looking for low cost & no cost Guest Speakers – or start with your local contacts or professional services for an introduction
- TOASTMASTERS or ROSTRUM – Practice speaking regularly and speak at Events
- MEETUP – niche local meetings looking for guest speakers on relevant topics
- ROTARY CLUBS and Service Clubs – regular local and regional meetings – ‘Speaker Seekers’
- BNI – Business Networks International encourages you to speak weekly and at events
- DSA & MLM – Direct Selling Australia & Multi Level Marketing groups like local Amway meetings
- ASSOCIATIONS – Local meetings & Breakouts at State Association conferences
- LOCAL SCHOOLS – Career Events & Subject Teachers are looking for guest speakers
- YOUR SERVICE PROFESSIONALS – Client events of your Accountant, Lawyer, Financial Planner, Business Coach etc
- LOCAL COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES and TAFEs – teachers looking for guests on various subjects
- LOCAL BUSINESS NETWORKS – Chamber of commerce, Local council networks
- BUSINESS AWARDS – Speak to judges about your Award submission and get on stage as a winner
- BUSINESS GROUPS – Business Owners, CEOs and Entrepreneurs Groups
- LOCAL BUSINESS STAFF MEETINGS & SALES TEAMS – weekly meetings or “lunch and learns”
- WOMEN’s GROUPS – groups specifically targeted to Women
- CLUBS & SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS for Hobbies and Causes
- RELIGIOUS and CHURCH Groups
- CHARITABLE Groups – talks that help fundraising and friendraising or overseas help
- PERSONAL EVENTS – Friends and Family Events like Birthdays, Weddings & Funerals
- SEARCH ONLINE for events having a “Call for speakers” and apply directly
ALWAYS KNOW YOUR OUTCOME WHEN GIVING A PRESENTATION
- The aim of giving a presentation is to get INVITED BACK and TELL OTHERS about you
- Aim to get TESTIMONIALS from both the organiser and happy audience members
- Always get a VIDEO – record the presentation on your phone for review or by a professional for making a Sizzle or Show Reel. (at least get an audio phone recording)
- Aim to move from FREE to FEE – When buyers start ringing you then you can ask if they have a speaking budget – start with travel costs, then add a gratuity/donation then increase your fee if you want.
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR PRESENTATIONS & SPEAKING SKILLS
- Talk about what you KNOW and share your personal STORIES
- Ensure there are BENEFITS and clear TAKEAWAYS for the audience – Be Memorable
- Keep your presentation LIGHT – add more fun & humour – not too serious or painful
- Tell SIGNATURE STORIES – when, where, who, what – your personal experiences or client results success stories
- Talk WITH and interact with your audience – Don’t just read from or look at the screen
SOME PLACES WHERE YOU CAN LEARN SPEAKING & PRESENTING
Speaking takes practice to gain confidence and overcome fears. Here are some great places to start improving.
- Dale Carnegie Public Speaking Courses
- Toastmasters International
- Rostrum Australia
- BNI – Business Networking International – Elevator pitch and 10 min presentations
- Udemy (Public Speaking Courses Online)
- Patricia Fripp Online Presentation Skills Workshop
- Other Resources for Advanced Speakers
There are people just waiting to hear your inspiring message, stories and advice –
Get out and SPEAK MORE!
This Blog is a Work in Progress – If you have any more tips or ideas of places to speak for FREE or NO FEE then contact me.
For more information and tips on speaking read the other Blogs or phone Dave on 0408375100 or send an email.