WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER BEING AN “EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER” WITH A SPEAKERS BUREAU
Speaker Bureaus in Australia know LOTS of clients organising events & conferences and are always looking for HOT new talented speakers.
Keynote Speakers should consider being exclusive to a Speakers Bureau
When I first approached a speakers bureau in 2006, I thought I was already a great speaker. In hindsight, that was definitely NOT the case. You just don’t know what you don’t know – The 10,000 hour rule applies.
- How many books on professional speaking have you read?
- How many speaker development workshops and courses have you done?
- How many advanced courses and speaker conferences?
- How many hours of stage presenting have you done?
Speakers improve over time. Overnight success takes longer than overnight. It’s just like being an actor or artist. A few mega stars, many workhorses and a LOT of wannabes.
There are a LOT of elements and a lot of work needed to have a successful & sustainable speaking career. – Managing relationships, Speaker Ethics & Integrity, Stagecraft & Style, Keynote & Content Curation, Becoming an “Expert” though leader, working on telling your Signature Stories, On-camera/ Video experience, Book Writing & Promotion, speaker bios, topic descriptions, intros, Photos, Videos, Sizzle Reel. Personal Brand Building & developing a tribe of fans and followers. And a lot of Time, Effort, Practice and Preparation! WHY should other people listen to you?
Having an EGO is a critical part of being a speaker, but most speakers really THINK they are better than they really are. With the current GLUT of people wanting to be famous speakers, most “Wannabe” speakers attending a “Speakers training school” will NOT make a professional career out of paid speaking.
HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY WORK WITH A SPEAKERS BUREAU – A GUIDE FOR ASPIRING SPEAKERS
SPEAKERS BUREAUS & TALENT AGENCIES IN AUSTRALIA
Australia has many speakers bureaus & talent agencies notably ICMI, Saxtons, Keynote, Ovations, Platinum, Great Expectations and Renegade etc
Australia also has a number of talent management agencies for successful speakers like Ode, Leading Voices and Premier (and many more for Comedians, Musicians etc).
LISTING YOURSELF WITH A SPEAKERS BUREAU
If you are a great new ‘content speaker’ or a talented person with a great story, many speakers bureaus will LIST you as new talent – just in case they get a client enquiry for you.
If you are a just an average speaker but are not prepared to do the development work, you can get listed with LOTS of speakers bureaus but will be lucky to get more than just a few gigs per year, if any.
BUT with many bureaus listing thousands of speakers on their website – this does NOT mean that they will promote you, feature you or provide ANY help to develop your speaking career.
You need to be an AWESOME or FAMOUS Speaker – the BEST of the best.
HOW TO BE PROMOTED & DEVELOPED BY A SPEAKERS BUREAU
The BEST way to get a speaker bureau’s attention & promotional effort is to arrange to be EXCLUSIVE to just ONE bureau. They will then make a bigger effort to promote, develop and nurture your career. But it is still a co-operative effort. They will coach you and can help – but YOU will need do the bulk of the DEVELOPMENTAL WORK. If you want the big speaking bucks – then you’ll need to do some work!
Developing your speaking career is a journey. Your role is to get AWESOME & get FAMOUS and then LEVERAGE your speaking into a business. This takes effort, work and practice.
The Association for Professional Speakers – PSA – Professional Speakers Australia – can help you learn the business side of speaking.
THE BENEFITS BEING AN “EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER” WITH A BUREAU
Being a speaker that is exclusively booked through one speaker’s bureau means:
- You can connect & rapidly build relationships with Speaker Bureau Consultants
- Get showcased at speaker bureau promotional events website and marketing collateral
- Get help and advice on your Speaker Development & Positioning
- Get help and connections for Promotion & PR exposure as a speaker
- Get Feedback & Coaching from Bureau clients via the bureau
- Help Expand your Speaker Networks & Connections – Asia & Overseas
- Travel & Admin Support to help you organise and manage your diary and billings
- Some bureaus will promote you to other speakers bureaus and some don’t
- Most importantly when a bureau client phones up looking for speakers you are most likely to get a strong recommendation
- The bureau will help you manage your finances and fee discussions – and collect money owed.
Some of the PROs of being an exclusive speaker
- A lot of speakers just want to speak and don’t want to worry about contracts logistics flights on ground transfers etc.
- Speakers become exclusive to get more attention early in their career and stay an exclusive for the benefits of hassle free speaking.
FAQS OF BEING AN EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER AT A SPEAKERS BUREAU
How long does bureau exclusivity last for?
- It varies from person to person one never knows how it will take for you to take off, but You must give it 12 to 18 months sometimes longer than that to gain momentum. Also its about your positioning – being in the right place at the right time with a relevant topic.
- There is no end period of being exclusive, some speakers have been exclusive for over 20 years because it works for them. Others there is a natural end to exclusivity.
Can I be booked by other speaker’s bureaus?
- Yes – your exclusive bureau can book any enquiry from other bureaus
What happens to the other work, spinoffs and referrals that I get?
- Exclusive speakers are expected to direct this back to the consultant at the Speakers Bureau who booked you
For more information about becoming an “Exclusive Speaker” contact your friendly speakers bureau.