Copywriting Tips for crafting the perfect Speaker BIO
by David Staughton CSP CCEO, Keynote Speaker on Growth Habits and Small Business Consultant
- Want to convert more potential Clients and Speaker Buyers?
- Would you like to know how to position yourself in conversations about you?
- Need to improve your Speaker BIO and ONE SHEET?
This blog covers how to create a Great Speaker BIO and how you can use your Bio and one liner to better position yourself in the speaker market to land more bookings.
Speakers Need Brand Positioning
To be a memorable Speaker you need a great speaker BIO that positions both you and your expertise.
When I first started Business Coaching in the early 2000’s I remember writing my own BIO.
It described who I was, what I have done in the past and what I could offer. In hindsight, it was just boring ‘blah, blah, blah’.
I was working with an assistant coach and one day he wrote me a new BIO. When he showed it to me I nearly cried. same old ME, completely different description!
Sometimes an outsider can describe you in ways that you can’t even imagine. Maybe its our own limiting beliefs or low self esteem that hold us back from describing ourselves in our full technicolour glory.
The growth of your speaking career can be limited if you are NOT positioned properly in the market.
Perhaps your BIO needs some help from a Speaker Branding Expert or a Copywriter for speakers?
Get some help with your identity and niche if you are describing yourself and your services poorly – Specificity Sells!
What is a Speaker BIO ?
A Speaker Bio is your speaking resume – a description of who you are, what you’ve done, who you helped or what you offer.
It is WHY a buyer should choose you and an audience should listen to you. It has to be credible but NOT too fanciful.
Beautifully crafted copy will SELL you to speaker buyers and audience members.
You can design THREE different Speaker BIOs which can be used for different promotional purposes.
A LONG BIO (up to 400 words), MEDIUM BIO (up to 200 words) and a SHORT BIO (up to 100 words),
Each Speaker Bio is a curated set of the BEST COPY that will impress your potential clients and audience members and encourage them to choose you & attend your presentation.
Start with your BEST 400 words and work out how to edit it down to 200 and 100.
Where does a Speaker BIO get used?
A good Speaker Bio is most likely to be used …
- On your Speaker ONE SHEET with your photos, topics and contact details.
- On the conference or workshop promo materials
- On a speaker bureau website
- On a bureau email suggesting you to their clients
- At the bottom of any Website Blogs
- Attached to your Articles elsewhere
- Your Book or E-Book inner jacket or back cover
- Youtube Video Descriptions
- Your Linked In Profile
- And in other own online marketing materials and social media descriptions.
What is a Speaker INTRO and how is it different from your BIO?
A Speaker INTRO is typically your BEST 75 to 100 words describing you & your benefits that are READ OUT LOUD by the host or MC in front of the audience.
NEVER read you Speaker BIO out as a Speaker INTRO. The intro should be the SIZZLE version of your Bio.
Your INTRO needs to excite your audience and whet their appetite without being egotistical or just your boring CV or resume.
A Good Speaker INTRO covers your background & accomplishments mixed with lots of benefits for the Audience. It has a great opening & closing and demonstrates your credibility. The audience will be eager with anticipation after hearing it.
Many speakers now prefer to use their own VIDEO Speaker Intro as it’s guaranteed to entertain & impress the audience more that a bland or bad MC doing a poor reading of your Intro.
For Guaranteed results you could also have a Radio Announcer record several different INTROs and have one of those played.
Speaker Intros have a bad habit of getting lost so BYO – Bring Your Own.
As a minimum send your INTRO to the client and MC beforehand, Have a downloadable copy of your Speaker Intro and Bio on your website AND always carry multiple Laminated A5 SPEAKER INTROs with you to hand personally to the MC.
What sorts of things should your SPEAKER BIO cover?
Having worked with Speaker Bureau consultants for nearly 10 years, I have watched speakers pitch themselves on paper and in person. I have also had speakers and consultants describe other speakers to me.
We once did a positioning exercise at the Professional Speakers Australia (PSA) Platform Professionals Summit pretending that we were all “Cans of Speaking Potatoes” and what we would each write on other speaker’s Labels to describe them. What a Fun game that was!
“ONE LINERS” BIO – Can you be described in just one or two lines?
Have a look at the Speaker Bureau websites and you’ll find it’s NOT easy to describe a speaker in using just one line or a sentence.
You need to find the ESSENCE of your own positioning or brand.
If it’s too general you’re just a commodity “A Leadership & Communications Speaker” and if it’s too weird “Aardvark Whisperer” or “Stratitudinalist” – you don’t get hired at all.
The idea is to find the perfect one-liner a shorthand code to be promoted by word of mouth. E.g.
- The “Last man Standing” & The Winter Olympian Ice Skater = Steve Bradbury
- The “WHY Guy” – Simon Sinek
- The “Thai Cave Rescue Divers” – Dr Richard “Harry” Harris OAM & Dr Craig Challen
Copywriting for your BIO
Your Bio should reflect who you are – your values, style and positioning.
Some things that your BIO could cover include:
- BEING – Who you are you BEING – Express your personality, vales and behavior.
- DOING – What are you DOING? – What do you do or are what you offer now
- HAVING – What HAVE you done? – What you’ve achieved or accomplished? Clients you worked with.
You can also mention your biggest CLIENTS or celebrity STARS you have helped or worked with (respecting any NDAs or client confidentiality agreements).
“His/Her clients include (brand), (brand), (Star)”
“(Name) has helped brands like (Brand) & (Brand)”
Could you make a claim a Positioning Tagline?
- Australia’s #1 ….
- Australia’s Leading ….
- Australia’s Best …..
- Australia’s Expert on ……
- Australia’s Most popular …..
- Australia’s Most Booked Speaker on ……
- A Thought Leader in ….
- World Authority on ….
- An Award-Winning …
- A Certified ….
- Known as …..
- Top 10 ….
- Top ….. in Australia
- Best …. In Australia
- CEO of …
- President of …
Could you be positioned as a GUY or LADY or GURU?
- The ‘Gen Y’ Guy
- The ‘Get More’ Guy
- The ‘Orange’ Lady
- The “Leopard’ Lady
Could your use a positioning sentence that demonstrates your benefits.
- “He/She helps (target Market) Overcome (their problems) by (your solutions)”
A Great Speaker’s BIO May Include:
- Your Name & Title
- Identity/Positioning tagline “He/She is ….”
- Your Background Highlights
- Relevant Qualifications / Education
- Experienced in….
- Famous for …..
- Has worked with (Branded Clients)
- Your Proof – Best Selling Books, Podcast, Videos, media, Shows, Products
- Your Accolades/ Great achievements – Awards, nominations, client results
- Specialises in (Niche) – talent is ….
- Loves working with (Ideal Clients)
You can use a selection of STAR WORDS to describe yourself –
pick some of these words or circle them to consider including in your BIO
- Creative, Artistic, Innovative, Talented, Distinctive
- Edgy, Fashion Forward, Bespoke, Elegant, Cutting Edge
- Expert, Expertise, Experienced Dedicated
- Proficient, A Master Of His/Her Craft, Highly Skilled
- Knowledgeable, Clever, Superb, , Recognized Expert
- Compelling And Entertaining Speaker
- Learner, Experimenter, Practical Experience
- Award-Winning, Achieved International Acclaim
- Australia’s #1, Best (Something) In Australia
- Witty And Razor Sharp, A Powerful Presenter
- Changing Attitudes, Unique Strengths
- Fast And Accurate, Keen, Committed
- Passionate, Inspirational Energy
- Sense Of Humour, Funny, Fun Loving, Playful
- Enthusiastic And Energetic
- Team Spirited, Team Player, People Oriented
- Warm And Informal, Good Listener, Unassuming Character
- Outgoing, Charismatic, Passionate
- Able To Connect, Warmth, Energising
- Engagement, , Unique Ability To Connect
- Positive Uplifting, High Energy
- Entertaining And Educational Training
- Feisty, Stunning, Educates
- Involves Audiences, Engages Audiences
- Mix Of Energy, Interaction. Humour, Sophistication.
- Customised, Tailored Presentation
- Delivers Results, Delivers Long-Term Tangible Results
- From Ordinary To Extraordinary , Awe Inspiring
- Boundless Energy, Nominated, Relationship Specialist, Proven Performer
- Passionate, Determined, Motivated, Wisdom And Insight
- Bestselling Author, Advisor, Consultant, Expert
Other Useful PHRASES for your BIO
- Started at
- Focussed on
- Educated by
- is Famous for
- is Renowned for
- Working with clients like
- Keeps up with latest techniques
- Pushing the boundaries
- Enjoys , Very versatile
- Forever evolving, Inspired by…
- Magic of, Secrets of
- Travelling to…, latest trends
- Recognised in publications such as
- World famous
- Radio and TV Appearances include
- Known Australia wide as
- Works with top professionals
- Works with stars from TV shows …
Use Words and Descriptors that appeal to all modalities of audience – Visual (See), Auditory (Hear), Kinesthetic (feel) and Digital Descriptors
Who are your Speaking Heroes and Gurus? –
Check out other expert BIOs for ideas and descriptions
Look at the Speaker Bureau Websites to see Speaker Descriptions and Bios how other speakers are described
Great Articles on writing your Speaker Bio and Intro
Write Your Own Speaker Intro
Writing a Speaker Bio to Attract Attendees
Speaker Bio Templates
Here are some other great books to help with your positioning, bio and intro
- POP! – Create the Perfect Pitch, Title & Tagline for Anything By Sam Horn CSP (Highly Recommended)
- Words that Sell by Richard Bayan
- More Words that Sell by Richard Bayan
- Phrases that Sell by Werz and Germain
- Power Sales Words by Vicky Oliver
This Blog is a Work in Progress for Speakers and Conference Organisers – Your FEEDBACK is Welcome! – Contact Dave.
ABOUT David Staughton CSP & Big Hat
David “Big Dave” Staughton is “The Growth Habits Guy”. David is an Award-winning Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) with over 15 years of professional speaking & consulting experience. He is a past board member of Professional Speakers Australia and an advisor to a large Australian speakers bureau.
Big Hat Professional Services provides Workshops, Webinars and Training on Sales, Service & Growth Strategies using Certified Speakers and Trainers.
Dave’s most popular SPEAKING TOPICS cover Strategy, Service & Sales and Leadership & Teamwork for small business.
He is also a successful serial entrepreneur and an expert on “Growth Habits” & Growing Small Businesses
Dave can offer….
- Conference Speaking & Workshops
- Master of Ceremonies
- Complete Conference Package
- Mentoring & Masterminds
- Team Training Workshops
- Business Growth Consulting & Advisory
If you would like to read more NEW BLOGS for growing your business or more information about the speaking & conference industry please sign up to the e-newsletter or connect with me here on LINKEDIN or FACEBOOK
- Read BLOGS FOR CONFERENCE ORGANISERS
- Read BLOGS ABOUT SMALL BUSINESS
- Read BLOGS FOR PROFESSIONAL SPEAKERS
You can also download some of the FREE E-BOOKS available here.
NEXT STEPS WITH DAVE
- Would you like to discuss your plans for an upcoming conference or event?
- Maybe an online consultation to discuss a challenging Business issue?
Book a “1 on 1” Session with Dave for an Online Meeting about your Business or upcoming Conference
If you would just like a chat or have any suggestions for this website please call David on 0408375100 or contact us
www.davidstaughton.com.au © David Staughton 2020 – All rights reserved