How to Grow your Tyre & Mechanical Store (Automotive Aftermarket Business Ideas)
Here is a big list of Ten Business Growth Ideas for an Automotive Aftermarket Business and lots of 1% improvement ideas.
1.Focus on delivering a Great Automotive Customer Experience
- Regularly Mystery Shop your store
- Customer Handover System – explain the Value of the work you’ve done
- Wow them! – wash their wheels and windows
- Run Events like Ladies Nights / P platers or a 4WD day
- Offer Great Coffee/Voucher & Free wifi
- Offer Loaner Cars or Customer Pick Up
- Extend Trading Hours – Twilight or weekends
- Clean up the Workshop – A Neat & Tidy Workshop & Staff sells more
- Be Female Friendly – a genuine focus and effort is required
- Develop a VIP loyalty Club – warranty & rotations
2. Improve your Inbound Phone Sales System
- Get their name, get their number, call them back if you can’t help now
- Use a customised Phone Script
- Listen to your own recorded inbound calls
- Competitor Analysis – Call them up and hear them
- Get the friendliest person on the phone
- Hire a salesperson to work front counter
- ASK – “Have you been here before?”
- ASK – “Have you been shopping around?”
- ASK – “What prices have you got so far?”
- ASK – “When would you like to book that in?”
3.Pricing Review & GP Margin Focus
- Mantra – “We are too CHEAP, our prices are too LOW and You discount too MUCH!”
- Focus on your GP margin – (36-44% is common) look at it regularly and watch it grow
- If your sales volume is up put PRICES UP
- If sales volume is down – fix your customer service, sales and marketing systems
- Handle price objections – Blame your accountant, talk about the price of stamps,
- Prices should go up every six months
- Services like wheel alignments can go up and add extra services like battery fitting fee
4. Set Staff Targets and use Incentives
- Get your staff interested in your numbers – make them visual
- Set some agreed targets and counts for sales
- Run a 12 week staff incentive program on a simple sale like WAs, Batteries or Nitrogen.
- Pay $ into a bonus pool for every one sold and $$ for every one sold above a target based on the same month last year.
- Must be a Small Win/Big Win incentive not win/lose
- The sales count needs to be displayed
- The handing out of the monthly bonus pool needs to be a positive group experience
- Add variety – Change the incentive program every 12 weeks
5. Owner Time & Effort on High Value jobs
- Spend more time doing the higher dollar value tasks – mechanical $, Sales$$ or Managing $$$
- Improving Your team Fitness and Health = a positive attitude
- Managing people – recruiting, coaching, training, systems & processes
- Learn to Analyse Numbers – reports, bank, P&L
- Improve relationships with your Alliances & Suppliers
- Learn Dealmaking Skills – people, businesses, property
- Learn to delegate and get help You don’t have to do it all yourself, just get it done well
6. Focus on Store Reports & Numbers (WSS and Accounting software)
- Learn to make the most of your Workshop Software system like Costar
- Attend Workshop Software training and ask others
- Collect more useful Customer Data
- Manage your debtors (accounts)
- Do more SMS Reminders from your software
- Focus on useful reports on chargeable labour, margins, stock sales etc
7. Active Stock & Margin Managing – Seek Rebates!
- Spread the love – lots of supplier deals
- Monitor your stock reports regularly
- Work with suppliers to get great deals
- Maximise margins on your best deal stock
- Maximise your stock turns / Reduce OOS
- Get the most from your delivery schedules
8. Hire a Great Automotive Salesperson (preferably Female!)
A great salesperson at the front counter can sell two to three times more than a grumpy EXPERT.
- Awesome Customer experience
- Convert more callers into customers
- Get more repeat and referral business
- A car salesman or friendly female can be great
- They run on appreciation and incentive
9. Get help from a Business Coach/Mentor/HR
- You need someone to keep you on track and accountable, an HR advisor, hire a local business coach and get a mentor.
10.Talk to your Accountant more often
Meet with your accountant often to review your Profit & Loss (P&L), understand your Assets and Liabilities Statement (A&L) and your Cashflow.
Ask for their advice and implement it. Update your Wills too.
Plan for tax, super and future. Benchmark your Automotive Business against others.
Best money you’ll ever spend!
IMPLEMENTING THESE 1% IDEAS TO GROW YOUR AUTOMOTIVE BUSINESS
UK Sports Coach Sir Dave Brailsford has had remarkable success with the British Cycling Team and Team Sky using aggregated incremental gains – lots of small improvements to get amazing results.
You’ll find the same things works for you – make lots of 1% improvements and see big results.
ABOUT THE BLOG AUTHOR – David Staughton CSP
David “Big Dave” Staughton is an Award-winning Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) with over 15 years of professional speaking & consulting experience. He is a past board member of Professional Speakers Australia and an advisor to a large Australian speakers bureau.
Big Hat Professional Services provides Live & Online Workshops, Webinars and Training on Sales, Service & Growth Strategies using Certified Speakers and Trainers.
Dave’s most popular SPEAKING TOPICS cover Strategy, Service & Sales and Leadership & Teamwork for small business.
He is also a successful serial entrepreneur and an expert on Growing Small Businesses in Tough Times
Dave can offer….
- Conference Speaking & Workshops
- Master of Ceremonies
- Complete Conference Package
- Mentoring & Masterminds
- Team Training Workshops
- Business Growth Consulting & Advisory
If you would like to read more NEW BLOGS for growing your business or more information about the speaking & conference industry please sign up to the e-newsletter or connect with me here on LINKEDIN or FACEBOOK
- Read BLOGS for CONFERENCE ORGANISERS
- Read BLOGS for PROFESSIONAL SPEAKERS
- Read BLOGS for SMALL BUSINESS
- Read BLOGS for HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
You can also download some of the FREE E-BOOKS available here.
NEXT STEPS WITH DAVE
- Would you like to discuss your plans for an upcoming conference or event?
- Maybe an online consultation to discuss a challenging Business issue?
Book a “1 on 1” Session with Dave for an Online Meeting about your Business, Website or upcoming Conference
If you would just like a chat or have any suggestions for this website please call David on 0408375100 or contact us
www.davidstaughton.com.au © David Staughton 2020 – All rights reserved