FIFTEEN STRATEGIES TO DEVELOP YOUR SPEAKING SKILLS & PROFESSIONAL SPEAKER BUSINESS
Shep Hyken – Famous NSA customer service speaker in USA says “the number 1 job of a speaker is to get more gigs as a speaker”. That takes WORK.
Frederik Horen – International speaker on Brands says “aim get 2 to 3 more gigs every time you speak”.
–Remember – Doing the WORK as a Speaker justifies the Professional Speaker Fee!
FIFTEEN STRATEGIES FOR SPEAKER SUCCESS
- HAVE BETTER SPEAKER COLLATERAL – Awesome Marketing Collateral – Pic, Bio, Intro, Flyers, Downloads, Videos, Custom Video messages, Props, sizzle reel (see Keith Abraham/ Amanda Stevens/ Michael McQueen websites)
- BE BETTER ON & OFF STAGE – Be Amazing on stage and offstage with client connection & relationships. Aim to get Rebooked and lots of Spin-off work. GET 3 BUSINESS CARDS with Booking Dates on them! Look for more buyers! Study the ebook “platform selling – Selling from the stage” techniques by Paul McCarthy
- MAKE MORE VIDEO – Video ALL your stage presentations and Analyse to improve – Make a Sizzle Reel, craft your stories, laughter spots and best catch phrases. amandastevens.com.au/video-marketing (6 videos for speakers)
- GET MORE FEEDBACK & PRACTICE – Get more Feedback after each presentation and practice more offstage
- OFFER GIVEAWAYS & FOLLOWUPS – Merch, Swag and Books to give away and send to prospective clients, thank organisers, bureau consultants and send cards & gifts
- PRACTICE YOUR PITCH (WHY YOU) – Practice your key pitches to bureaus and buyers – by Webinar, Showcase, Key Conferences, TEDx, (make or break) – study sales for speakers
- DIFFERENTIATE – GO NEW NICHE – Analyse similar speakers Competitors in your Category and differentiate yourself from others (Don’t copy – innovate!)
- PODCAST – Create a podcast and interview key people in your field
- WRITE A BEST SELLING BOOK – Write a Book that positions you – (your manifesto/ story) and a smaller book that is a self published book about your keynote topic (extended notes)
- BE AN AMBASSADOR – Become an Ambassador for an organisation / charity
- WIN AWARDS – Enter and Win Awards – speakers, business, community, government (finalist/winner)
- PR Do more PR (Randal or Media Stable) – Get known in MEDIA – Be a regular on media – radio, TV, Column in Paper
- SOCIAL – Do Social Media – Build a following on linkedin, Facebook or Instagram
- STAND OUT & BE MEMORABLE – Emotional connection with Signature Stories, Catchphrases, Be Sticky and memorable for the right reasons
# 15 – KNOW WHY A BUYER SHOULD CHOOSE YOU AS A SPEAKER
- WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? WHY SHOULD THEY CHOOSE YOU?
- PROVE YOU ARE AN EXPERT ON THE TOPIC – Promote your Achievements, Accomplishments, Awards, Media, Books, Social, Podcast, Videos
- BECOME MORE FAMOUS – Be a well known and recognisable name and personal brand (positioning) – known in media and online. Build a tribal following online.
- LEVERAGE YOURSELF – With products and back end offers beyond speaking – webinars, retreats, consulting offer etc etc
- CAN YOU SUIT DIFFERENT SPEAKER BUYERS IN THE MARKET? – SCHOOLS, Not for Profits (NFP) GOVT, CORPORATE Small Biz Etc at different levels – organisations, leadership, teams, personal development.
- OFFER A RANGE OF HOT TOPICS & TITLES appealing to the market (See hot speaking topics list)
- HAVE AWESOME SIGNATURE STORIES (just like #1 hit records on an album)
- HAVE MEMORABLE UNIQUE IP & CATCH PHRASES that are tweetable and postable
- BE FUNNIER – Add more appropriate humour and comedy
THESE BOOKS FOR DEVELOPING A SPEAKER BUSINESS ARE MUST READS:
- Book more Business – Make Money Speaking – a book and website written by Lois Creamer (PA to Shep Hyken USA Speaker )
- The Speaker Author by Cathy Fyock and Lois Creamer
- Ebook – Selling from the Platform by Paul McCarthy – Rules of stage speaking for success
- Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port
SPEAKER DEVELOPMENT TIPS
- GET A SPEAKING COACH OR MENTOR – Get a Speaker Coach to help improve an aspect of your presentation – depends what you need – More Confidence, Body language, Voice, Better Stagecraft, Storytelling skills, Humour, Content Design, Graphics, Video, Showreel making
- ATTEND SPEAKER GROUPS – CONVENTIONS, WORKSHOPS & MEETINGS – Join a Speaker Association – Professional Speakers Australia – PSA Conference & meetings https://www.professionalspeakers.org.au/ and Overseas Speaker Associations – NSA USA Conference or GSF – Global Speakers Federation
- LISTEN TO SPEAKER PODCASTS – listen to Julie Masters Podcast – Inside Influence and many more
- JOIN A SPEAKER GROUP – Some Speaker Development Academies (Speaker Masterminds or Groups) may help but be cautious
If you have any other ideas to improve your Professional Speaker Business please contact Dave.
FOR MORE INFO & IDEAS – Call David Staughton 0408375100 or Email