Systems for Your Practice – Start with Basic Systems – A useful LIST of Systems Documents for your Practice
Many surgeons, practice owners and managers play the “Guessing Game” – They let their team members try to “Guess” what they really want to achieve. Always start with BASIC SYSTEMS – Always Share Your Desired OUTCOMES with your “A Team” and Build Better Systems & Processes. Strategy & Business Plans for many small businesses & practices are either old or non-existent. Targets and KPIs are scarce. Help your team achieve more by clearly communicating your desired Outcomes and Business Direction. This blogs can help you build your practice systems and processes.
Don’t Keep it a SECRET! Give us a HINT of what your want to achieve!
ANY document that can help CLARIFY the desired outcomes & direction of the business is really USEFUL to boost team engagement and results.
Let’s start by getting everybody on the same 1st page with Systems 101.
Here is a Useful Checklist of some helpful documents to achieve better Organisational Clarity and Results.
AN ABOUT OUR PRACTICE DOCUMENT
- Our PURPOSE – Why we do it
- Our PHILOSOPHY – What we Believe
- Our PEOPLE – Who we are
- Our PLAN – What we do
- Our PROCESSES – How we do it
- Our POSSIBILITIES – Opportunities
- Our PROBLEMS – Issues and Concerns
- Our PERFORMANCE – KPI expectations
- Out PAYOFF – Benefits and Bonuses
CLEAR DIRECTION DOCUMENTS
- VALUES STATEMENT – What’s really important to us?
- VISION STATEMENT & MISSION STATEMENT
- S.W.O.T. ANALYSIS
- STAKEHOLDERS – Clear Identification of all STAKEHOLDERS
- COMPETITOR ANALYSIS – Who are our competitors (By Segment)
- TARGET MARKET & IDEAL BUYER PERSONAS – Who are our buyers?
- CORE STRENGTHS (Niches) – The Hedgehog Principle – What ONE thing do we do well?
- UPDATED BUSINESS PLAN – Business Strategies are Clear (Liveplan or One Page Plan)
- FINANCIAL OBJECTIVES – Budget, Actuals, CPC Comparisons
HUMAN RESOURCES HR DOCS
- OUR ORGANISATIONAL CHART – names and pictures
- OUR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES – Individual Position & Ideal Person Descriptions
- OUR CULTURE STATEMENT – Our Philosophy
- A COURTESY SYSTEM in place
- PRODUCTIVITY & EFFICIENCY – meetings are meaningful, motivational and minute-wise (See the 25 minute meeting by Donna McGeorge)
- HOUSE RULES – clear set of HR Policies & Procedures
- RECRUITMENT STRATEGIES & REMUNERATION PLANS
- INDUCTION PROGRAM
STAFF INDUCTION DOCS
- ONBOARDING CHECKLIST – Admin, Financial, Show Around, Meet People
- VISIT & READ OUR COMPANY WEBSITE
- CLEAR EXPECTATIONS & PROCESSES – Checklists
- STYLE GUIDE – Logos, Colours, Pics, Videos, Examples of past work
- TEAM COMMUNICATION TOOLS – coaching, feedback and samples
- FAQs & FADQs lists
COUNTING & MEASURING BUSINESS OUTCOMES
- KEY METRICS have been established – Which things to measure regularly
- KPIs & KRAs – MEASUREMENT & FEEDBACK SYSTEMS in place
- FINANCIAL REPORTING – Regular Meetings on P&L or A&L
ENVIRONMENTAL BUSINESS OUTCOMES
- P.E.S.T. ANALYSIS Completed (Political, Environmental, Social, Technological)
- WORKING ENVIRONMENT – WHS/OHS issues, Built Environment audits
- EQUIPMENT & TOOLS – Technology & Software up to date
- COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT – New Competitors/Threats regularly assessed
OUTSOURCED STAFF CHECKLIST
- SURROUNDINGS & SUPPORT – Risk Analysis – Security – power, pics, helpers, Family
- OFFICE SET UP – Connection, Mobile phones, computer, other equipment
- TOOLS – Preferred Software programs
- REFERENCES – Past work, Past employers
- SCENARIO PLANNING – Robbery, Theft, Backup, Disaster (hurricane, flood, fire)
BEST BOOKS ON CREATING BETTER SYSTEMS & PROCESSES FOR PRACTICE MANAGERS
- Michael Gerber’s Book – The E-Myth Revisited
- Sam Carpenter’s Book – Work the System (free E-Book)
- Systemology by David Jenyns
The E-Myth & EMyth Physician by Michael Gerber (The Classic Book on Systems)
- E-Myth Physician by Michael Gerber lists all the reasons why medical practices fail and what can be done about it. As a result, physicians get to have successful practices and lives.
Systemology – David Jenyns
- Systemology offers a breakthrough approach to run a business. If you are looking to create time, minimize errors, scale profits, this is it.
Work the System – Sam Carpenter Book
- Do you want to make more and work less? Work the system will teach you how to do it exactly.
Useful Resources to help with Systemising Your Practice
- PracticeHub by Avant
- Formitize –
- Microsoft Sharepoint – Your own Intranet of Shared Resources
- ASPS – American Society of Plastic Surgery Shop has some systems document templates for sale e.g. informed consents
- Any Mind Mapping Software